Waldorf Memories

A few weeks ago I ordered for a custom waldorf baby doll for my three year old daughter. The doll will be 18" long, have movable arms and legs and be able to wear actual baby clothes. My daughter will love it.

Way back in the 70's, when I was a little girl, I would visit my grandma and grandpa on their farm in central California. Their next door neighbor, Mrs. Wilson, would sometimes invite me over -- which I loved, because Mrs. Wilson made dolls and her entire attic was filled with every type of Waldorf-styled doll imaginable. And each one had a name and *story*. It was kid heaven. She even cut out 'kits' for me to sew my own dolls, and while mine never looked as good as hers, the memories make me smile.

Waldorf dolls are the perfect toy for any gender. What makes the Waldorf dolls so pleasing for kids is that they are soft and cuddly, and easily lovable. The face is only “suggested” to allow the child to use his/her own imagination as to whether it laughs, cries, sings, screams, is happy or sad . The child’s emotions can be projected on to the doll. Kits can be ordered as well as custom dolls on sites like www.dancingraindolls.com For the experienced sewer, free patterns are all over the web.

My daughter is only three .... when she's older, we'll try making our own dolls together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Rambles

Gurdjieff's 82 Rules for Life

Advent and Felt