The Pit of Despair

.... don't even think about trying to escape.

Yesterday I had a really, REALLY bad day. It was the type of day where you wake up thinking life is good, then half way through realize it's nothing but a steaming pile of unpaid bills gone to collections (with interest.) The type of day that makes you want to sing old blues songs, like:

Once I built a tower to the sun,
Brick and rivet and lime,
Once I built a tower, now it's done,
Brother, can you spare a dime?

It was the type of day that makes you want to cry out things like 'why me' or 'it's not fair!'

And people try to come to you and say things like 'it's okay' or 'one day at a time' or some other pithy phrase that makes you feel like this:

And just when I wanted to crawl into a dark pit, cover myself with ashes and dwell in my misery forever, I looked up to see my three kids......

...and they were d a n c i n g.

All three of them were smiling and cutting a rug, waving arms, laughing and gyrating hips in a triangle of insanity.

"But there isn't even any music!" I said. They were not about to let that stop them, and their laughing and silliness became something of a light in my dungeon of pity. As I watched I started to feel something happen -- a twinge of hope -- and soon I felt a smile spread as I laughed with them.

Life is certainly not fair. But that doesn't necessarily keep one from dancing.

Even if there isn't even any music.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Rambles

Gurdjieff's 82 Rules for Life

Advent and Felt