Autumn Rambles

Autumn has always been a favorite season of mine, and it's only natural for me to get out onto a trail and savor the season's offerings. Also, I hike whenever I feel confused as hiking clears the mind.

All through the Summer I've been confused about the Yoga class I was teaching at a local Dojo. Deeper than that, I was confused about how I felt about teaching Yoga at all; suffice it to say that, above most other industries, the machine of American Yoga is knee deep in empty promises and worthless ego-feeding spiel. For other areas of business, empty promises do not bother me; however, Yoga is something I care about and believe in.

Linda-Sama, from the blog Linda's Yoga Journey, said it best: "Fancy arm balances and pretzel poses no longer impress me. Show me how you live your life and what you can give up for 10 days at a retreat without complaint -- that will show me what you've learned from yoga. Show me your service and gratitude."

Though I do not believe all Yoga classes are poor quality, I am a firm believer that Americanized Yoga is killing Yoga; the desire to be the next Seane Corn seems to rank a bit higher than respecting the practice of ahimsa. To me, Americanized Yoga is not the Yoga I love and it is not the Yoga I want to live or distribute.

What I love about true Yoga is the same as what I love about hiking; it requires little more than honest awareness and persistent practice. It is unremarkable, inglorious and offers nothing to brag about.

What it should be is completely free, and what it should offer is complete freedom.

And perfect peace.


I've opted for the road less traveled.

Comments

Linda-Sama said…
thanks for stopping by LYJ and for your lovely comment. metta to you!
Nikki Chau said…
Linda's link sent me here. Thanks for this nice post, Grace. I particularly share this same sentiment: "Deeper than that, I was confused about how I felt about teaching Yoga at all; suffice it to say that, above most other industries, the machine of American Yoga is knee deep in empty promises and worthless ego-feeding spiel. For other areas of business, empty promises do not bother me; however, Yoga is something I care about and believe in."

Enjoy your hikes out there.
Linda said…
Thanks to you both. Blessings and love!

Popular posts from this blog

Gurdjieff's 82 Rules for Life

Advent and Felt